Who are we?
We are the Nottingham Anime & Manga Society (NamSoc), Nottingham’s largest and oldest running society dedicated to all things Japanese and anime related. We have been going on for over 18 years, first establishing ourselves in 2000 as a group of friends scheduling frequent anime sessions, now expanded to entertain hundreds of anime enthusiasts every year.
Based just outside the centre of Nottingham (find us here), we hold weekly showings of all things anime – whether it’s the latest shows straight from Japan or some beloved classics from decades past, NamSoc always strives to showcase some of the best in the industry. From popular series such as “Attack on Titan” and “One Punch Man”, to fan favourites such as “Neon Genesis Evangelion” and “Trigun”, and even some older classics like “Lupin III” and “Macross”, we play shows in English (dubbed) or in Japanese (subbed) so there’s something for everyone, regardless of your tastes.
We have long-standing connections with distributors like Manga UK, Animatsu, Funimation and Anime Limited as well as other anime societies such as EMAG. We also have invited the likes of United Publications to provide anime stalls for some of our bigger annual events. We have also partnered with the likes of Forbidden Planet and Nottingham’s own Page 45 and hope to establish more partnerships in the future.
NamSoc works tirelessly to ensure all it’s members gain as much enjoyment as they can during their time with us and help make their love of the medium even stronger. We always like to arrange events throughout the calendar year such as social events, special screenings, game days, trips to UK conventions and much, much more.
What we have to offer:
– An impressive cinema style setup with high definition digital projection.
– Weekly screenings of anime, featuring a social/gaming slot beforehand where you can talk to members, play games, make announcements or browse our manga library.
– Several forms of interactive social networking and gaming including Facebook and Discord.
– A huge library of Anime & Manga titles with a special loans system for all of our society members.
– Regular social events for our members as well as several special screening days a year including Halloween Trick-or-Treat nights, NamSoc-for-the-night screenings and bring-your-own nights, among many others.
Where we meet, when and how much it costs:
Dunkirk Community Centre
Coming by foot/bus? Find your way by clicking here.
– NAMsoc is held at the Dunkirk Community Centre (DCC) every Tuesday Night.
– Doors open at 7 pm for social time (card games, consoles, manga, etc.) with anime screenings starting at 7:45 pm. Screenings end and doors close at 10 pm, with members gathering at the local pub (the Johnson Arms) afterward.
– Entry to the weekly meets costs only £2, with the first two visits free for newcomers.
– Entrance to meets is open to anyone aged 16 and over, though we do warn of screenings recommended for ages 18 or over.
– We are an independent society and are not tied to any student bodies or organisations.
We try our best to make every Tuesday night fun for both new and old members and are always open to conversation and even new ideas.
Sound good to you? Hope to see you on Tuesday!
Our society follows a series of fundamental principles, ideals, and rules as laid out by our constitution: http://namsoc.org/namsoc-constitution/